Wednesday, March 16, 2005

Looking vs. Checking Out

Had a conversation with some acquaintances. One of the ladies, V., told a story about how a year before her wedding to her now husband she joined a gym. On her first day there she saw this extremely hot guy and her immediate thought was, "Damn! Where were you 6 months ago!" She then proceeded to say how this guy just totally turned her on and how she just wanted a little "taste" but because she was engaged she didn't proceed with that desire. As attracted as she was to this man she decided to only go so far as to smile at him. Every time he would go to a machine near her she would leave. As reassuring it is that she choose not to act out her desires it's quite unnerving. She had obviously just gotten engaged, ready to marry, and here she was not just looking or checking out a guy, but actually lusting after a guy that she regularly sees. All the insecurities and fears I have keep resurfacing everytime I hear stories like these. I always have this belief that people are going to be devoted to one another and then these stories freak me out. Of course if I had to choose I would rather have Ray lusting after a woman but not do anything about it than to act on it. But do I really want to be thinking that there could be, or some day be, a woman he meets at his workplace or elsewhere that he'll immediately exclaim, "Damn! Where was she _____ months/years ago!" To me, that statement's basically saying "If I had met this person before my current bf/gf I would've totally went for her." Do I feel comforted by that? no! I can deal with his subtle looks at girls as we drive around or whatever but to have him consciously make inner comments like that, I feel, would be hurtful. To me, it's saying that he is more attracted to this other woman than me. But of course ppl will say that it doesn't necessarily mean he'll be attracted to her intellectually and that it's just physical appearance. Sooooo that goes to the question, "Does that mean he likes her body better than mine's? Were her breasts bigger? Was she skinnier? Is that his ideal but lucky that I have a good personality so it makes up for what I'm lacking physically?" I know it sounds neurotic but I can't help it. Ray is absolutely fabulous and completely hot and I always fear that I won't be enough for him. Is this an issue that most females deal with? Or am I just being overly insecure?

2 Comments:

At 9:54 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

all women think this way and if they say they don't they're not women. I mean of course there's exceptions to every rule. But generally--it's okay to reevaluate yourself. But constantly saying" damn, he must be looking at her.." or "damn she's really prettier than me" is soooo damaging not only to the person you're dating, but to your self -esteem. I had to train myself to STOP it. Of course, I know there's a lot of pretty , hot chicks..
But eventually, you realize, hey, I'm good enough. It sounds so hokey, but honestly it's sooo exhausting. I've been there. I actually get more jealous when it's people I can't compete against physically..ie...MODELS or average looking actresses that only look "good" because they're famous. Cos honestly, there are only a handful of "truly" physically beautiful people. Everything else is a JOKE. A gimick. I know people will say I'm jealous, but don't buy into that shit. Take for example those ordinary people on Oprah that get a makeover...They look WAYYYYY better than actresses...See a few hairstylists and voila...

 
At 2:06 PM , Blogger dragonchica said...

ahahahaha!! so true...so true.....it's always good to hear another female voice validating one's feelings.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home