Sunday, March 06, 2005

A weekend of fun

Friday night (3/4/05):
A couple of days ago, Ray thought it would be fun to go to the drive-in. I hadn't been to the drive-in for about a year so I was totally game. I met up with Ray at his new place around 6:45ish. We decided to go watch "Be Cool" with John Travolta, the Rock, Vince Vaughn, Uma Thurman, and some other known actors that I can't seem to remember right now, therefore they're just "known" and not "well-known!"
Anyways, we get to the drive-in a little after 7:30 (the movie started at 7:30) and there were several long-ass lines to get in. We made the mistake of going into the line where there wasn't a cashier attendant there yet. So we sat there for what felt like 10 minutes before they sent someone over to open up the rest of the lines and we sat there and watched the lines that had the one attendant. It was torture! All the what-ifs! So we finally get in and located our screen. We missed probably 5-10 min. of the show, which was fine. We opened up his hatchback, laid out his big pillow and heavy blanket and watched the movie. It was a pretty good movie. I have to say that this was the Rock's best performance I've seen so far. I was worried that he was going to be typecasted as the brawny action hero, that was the road he was already taking, so I'm glad he decided to do this gay, country-singing, aspiring actor, bodyguard role. He was quite funny! Vince Vaughn was pretty funny too. We've adopted a new saying from him. "Twinkle, twinkle, baby, twinkle twinkle!" It's great to say after someone has made a comment or complaint towards something. We kept saying it all weekend.

Saturday (3/5/05):
We slept in a bit since we didn't have to go to my house to do some mulching in the veggie garden with my landlord. He postponed it 'til next week to let the soil dry up a bit. That worked out perfectly since we bought $10 tickets to go see "Aida" at the Children's Musical Theater. The first time we went to a CMT production was in December when Ray's neice was in "The Christmas Carol." It was a very well-put play and we were very impressed by the acting and singing (plus the fact that contrary to the name it is not all child actors!) so we decided to go see another show. This was "Aida's" opening weekend and they had a $10 special for the 2:00 showing on Saturday so we went. It was amazing!!!!! It was such a bittersweet story with wonderful music to go with it. The main characters were played very well. Julie Thomas played Aida and boy did she have a voice! Can you believe she's only 16!??! I totally loved the play. I definitely felt that I wouldn't mind seeing it again especially the Broadway version.
After the play we went back to Ray's place and watched the movie, "Ray." It was a movie based on Ray Charles' life. Jamie Foxx, the actor that plays Ray, just won the Oscars for best male. We were able to watch an hour of it before heading it and it was already really good. I didn't realize all the drugging and infidelity that was Ray's life. It was horrible, in a way, to watch this legend behave the way all women fear their husbands will be like. It was even more horrible to watch his wife stay with him even after finding out that his current mistress had Ray's baby (his 3rd child). It really adds to the fear that all men can be easily swayed by a pretty face with a nice rack. You never want to think that your man will ever cheat on you but it's always there. When he stays at work late more than one night in a week, you wonder. When he seems to be less affectionate all of a sudden, you wonder. If he seems overly generous, you wonder.
We left the house around 6:30 p.m. to head over to Miyake's in Palo Alto for my friend, AG's birthday dinner. I've only been to the Palo Alto Miyake's once and that was during the daytime. Boy is there a difference between day and night! Ray told me about the sakebombs and such but I didn't really how crazy it gets in there! Unfortunately, not all of her friends were there on time (let's say over an hour frickin' late!) so they would not seat us. It really sucked for the folks like me, Ray, Allie, Caroline, Laura, Johnny, AG! to be there on time or even 15-30 min. late and have to wait for these folks who should've planned their day a bit better to get here on time. A few of us were getting extremely irritated. I was ready to just leave. I highly doubt the extreme late-comers were late because of some huge emergency (because you know that's rarely the case) so it makes it even more annoying when they show-up and I don't recall hearing any apologies for making the other 14 ppl wait for their sorry-asses. Anyways, so we finally get into the damn restaurant and get seated and immediately they ordered sakebombs. If you don't know what a sakebomb is it's a glass of Japanese beer with a shot glass of sake in the glass and you drink it at one. It is Miyake tradition to stand on your chair as a waiter yells, "Sake!" and everyone yells back "Bomb!" I had 2 sakebombs before our food arrived so I was already feeling a bit loopy. The food was pretty good but never again will I get the spicy salmon teriyaki roll. It just did NOT taste very yummy, especially after Johnny said it tasted like dog shit! We were there until almost 11. AG was totally wasted! She could barely stand up, which was proven when she fell down on the sidewalk taking poor Laura along with her! Man! So anyways, we went home and finished "Ray." Went to bed at 1. Got woken up at 2 by a loud crash. Ray's DVD tower apparently toppled over. Went back to sleep. Woke up again at 4 because the tower once again crashed. Ugh!

Sunday (3/6/05):
With all those wonderful waking moments last night it was not fun having to wake up at 7 to go to my parent's house to drive them to the airport. My parents left for Vietnam today for 2 weeks so I got stuck driving them to SFO. Ray was really sweet to come with me. My sister ended up not going so I was glad to have him there. My parents packed two suitcases for themselves and then 3 suitcases full of water and shit to take there with them. They were so frickin' heavy! We get to the airport a little after 9:30, checked them in, and we left at 10:00. Headed to Ikea since Ray needed a few things for his place; Shoe rack, shelf, etc. Had some breakfast at their food place. For 99 cents we got some bacon, eggs, and yummy hashbrowns. For another 99 cents we got some swedish pancakes. What a deal! We had a lot of fun at Ikea, but who wouldn't? Especially when it wasn't that crowded. Dropped my parent's SUV at home, went back to Ray's, washed both cars while Ray put up his shelf and stuff. We took a 1 1/2 nap and now Ray is finishing a few things before we go back to my place to make dinner. I hope he finishes soon because I'm hungry and we only had the Ikea breakfast!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home