Thursday, March 15, 2007

Maturity Revelation

As the years went by I started to realize that I don't need a million people surrounding me to make me feel whole or important. I can remember five, eight years ago when I would do things solely to make others happy in order to keep them around. I used to measure my worth by how many phone numbers were in my phone or how many "friends" were on my friendster profile. I prided in being the center of attention, the "it" girl. Although I still have a bit of those feelings left inside of me, I now have the maturity to truly understand that I'd rather have a few genuine friends that lift me up and make me a better person.



In the past few years I have slowly shedded "toxic" or "useless" people in my life. Toxic as in I go through more downs than ups with that person. Useless as in I'm not learning or gaining anything from the friendship. There is not one person but many that I have found through the years have not been a real friend or just not the right friend. It's taken me a while but through this maturity I am finally getting to that point in my life where I can look at the people around me and smile. Now, when I look around I see friends that I know will last a lifetime. Friends that I consciously make an effort to nurture and love. So, to end on a positive note. I want to make a shout out to my homegirls you know who you are!

1 Comments:

At 11:06 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

aw... *tear*
=)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home